Re: How do reads and writes overlap?

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 19:31, Left Right <olegsivokon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your answer. Just to clarify, the reason I wanted to
> know this isn't really data validation. It's important for
> understanding of the results of my benchmarks. Since the program that
> I'm testing is a kind of iSCSI server, which needs to, for example,
> acknowledge writes based on user's policy pertaining as to how far the
> data had propagated, a read from a block with a write pending might be
> served from the server's cache, rather than going the full circle to
> the physical storage and back.
>
> Thus, understanding the percentage of such overlaps would be very
> important for me. So, I was wondering if there is any way of
> controlling this behavior.

What Robert said is definitely a way to achieve what you're interested
in - if you use verify_backlog
(https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-verify-backlog
) along with all the usual verify options your reads will be only for
data that has been written. A different option to look at if you're
only worried about avoiding collisions between pending I/Os is
serialize_overlap
(https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-serialize-overlap
)...

--