Re: fio on vmware esxi

Hey all, and special thanks to Sitsofe for pointing me at the github fio issue 464.

I have fio working on my ESXi 6.5 server.  Here is the procedure I used.  Install Docker and use this Dockerfile:

=============================
FROM multiarch/alpine:x86_64-v3.6

RUN apk --no-cache add --update \
    git \
    alpine-sdk \
    coreutils \
    linux-headers \
    libaio \
    libaio-dev \
    zlib-dev

RUN git config --global http.sslVerify false
RUN git clone http://git.kernel.dk/fio.git fio
RUN cd fio && ./configure --esx
RUN cd fio && EXTFLAGS="-static" make -j $(grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo) install
=============================

Then, start the docker container with a dummy command (I’m sure there are better ways to do this, but it works, so hey)
$ docker run -d fio sleep 600

Note the ID that it spits out.  Use that ID in the next command:
$ docker cp 69e64de38659d350fb07e45b5d7d2d4098c642ec1ca81a6eb18a9b34e622082f:/fio/fio .

You can now scp that fio to your ESXi server and execute it there.

[root@R156U37ESXI:/vmfs/volumes/5a611782-2d14bf65-c453-246e96146f88/testdir] ~/fio test.fio
file1: (g=0): rw=randrw, bs=(R) 4096B-4096B, (W) 4096B-4096B, (T) 4096B-4096B, ioengine=psync, iodepth=16
fio-3.11-6-gee6ce
Starting 1 thread
file1: Laying out IO file (1 file / 1024MiB)
Jobs: 1 (f=1): [f(1)][100.0%][r=1346KiB/s,w=899KiB/s][r=336,w=224 IOPS][eta 00m:00s]

Hope this works for you, Eliezer!

Regards,
Mark

Mark Beierl
SW System Sr Principal Developer
Dell EMC | Cloud & Communication Service Provider Solution
Mark.Beierl@xxxxxxxx