Re: Zoned block device support for fio

On 8/23/18 5:00 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The code on the master branch of my fio repository on github has been
> updated again. The changes compared to the previous version are:
> * A new job option has been added, namely zonemode. zonemode=zbd has to be
>   specified when filename refers to a zoned block device. zonesize has a new
>   meaning for zonemode=zbd. When both zonemode and zonesize have been
>   specified and filename refers to a regular block device the I/O pattern
>   the same as for a zoned block device (at least if all write pointers of the
>   zoned block device are reset before fio is started). This behavior change
>   was requested by Jens.
> * A subtle bug has been fixed that caused I/O against a zoned block device to
>   stop early if multiple jobs were doing random writes to the same LBA range
>   and with the random map enabled.
> * The zonemode=zbd do_verify=1 combination no longer causes fio to report
>   verify errors when run against the conventional zones of a zoned block
>   device.
> * The code for skipping offline zones should now work. Offline zones were not
>   skipped in previous versions. I have not yet tested this code - testing this
>   change requires access to a real or simulated openchannel SSD.
> * Several new unit tests have been added to t/zbc/test-zbc-support.
>
> See also https://github.com/axboe/fio/pull/585.

I'm going to reply here, since I generally hate github review for anything
but the simplest of things.

I think this is starting to look good. For the filesetup.c changes, I think
that this:

+       if (o->zone_mode == ZONE_MODE_NONE && o->zone_size)
+               o->zone_mode = ZONE_MODE_STRIDED;

belongs in fixup_options()zbd_init() should not be something that
is unconditionally called. Only do it if ZONE_MODE_ZBD is set and make
that explicit. Also kill zbd querying in zbd_init() if we haven't asked for
it.

Can you git send-email the series to me and the list? I'll take a closer
look.

--
Jens Axboe