Re: Windows and TRIM support - files, not devices

On 4/20/18 9:46 AM, Rebecca Cran wrote:
> On 04/20/18 01:15, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
>
>> On 28 January 2017 at 01:05, Rebecca Cran <rebecca@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I've been looking at the TRIM support in Windows 8 and newer, and have come
>>> across a potential problem. Other OSes use TRIM on a physical/block device,
>>> but Windows only provides support for TRIM on files.
>>
>> How far did you get with this?
>
> I didn't do any more work on it after realizing it only worked on files.

Missed this originally - files is totally fine, for what it's worth, on
Linux we could map this to hole punching too. So I don't think that's
a show stopper at all, it'd be perfectly possible to define trim based
workloads just on files. In fact, that's more flexible that what we
currently support on Linux.

--
Jens Axboe