Re: "No I/O performed by <engine>" reporting bug?

On 27 March 2018 at 16:23, Kris Davis <Kris.Davis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm wondering if I've completely misunderstood the meaning of "looping".  I was thinking it basically meant to "repeat" the job specification a number of times, but from your description of the impacts, that appears to be wrong.
>
> Looking at other verbiage in the doc, "loops" say to "repeat same workload a given number of times".  Under time_based, it says "it will simply loop over the same workload as many times as runtime allows".    I'm wondering if the word 'loop' is really means the same thing in these two descriptions.  If nothing is really "reset" between loop iterations, then it seems to me that these two uses of 'loop' mean the same thing.

I'd argue both reset the offset when the end of the file is reached
when you're doing sequential I/O and they reset the areas available to
be used when doing random I/O that is also using a randommap. Certain
specific things can also be set to happen on each loop to (e.g. see
http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-unlink-each-loop
). I think verification do_verify verification passes also run after
each write job loop but I'd have to check.

> Sorry if I'm missing the point, but if the "loops" option really doesn't effect other aspects like the runtime, ramp_time or resetting LBAs and such, I'm confused when "loops" would be used - what does it accomplish that isn't available through other options?

It saves some calculation. Imagine I want a run where I write the
entire file twice and I don't know its size then I could use loops=2 .
LBAs are definitely being reset in simple loops jobs...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/