Re: Windows: FIO randomly hangs using attached script

On 9 March 2018 at 14:55, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In some implementations it's actually mandated to have the wakeup
> within the lock, which seems to be the case here. It's a shame,
> since it's clearly suboptimal (from a scalability point of view)
> to have to hold the lock while issuing a wakeup for a process
> that's going to grab the same lock.
>
> I'll commit the patch. Thanks a lot for all your hard work on this
> one, let's hope that was it...

FWIW this has been accepted as a bug in the mingw-w64 project's
winpthreads library. The standalone program on
https://gist.github.com/sitsofe/abd99efec507b18234e7cc042d1baff1
reliably triggers the deadlock for me when using a mingw build on both
real Windows and under Wine but not when built for Linux with glibc.
See https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/bugs/710/ for the "Deadlock in
winpthreads' pthread_cond_signal()" bug.

Rob, David, Rebecca: do you know if the current git fio cures the
deadlock you were seeing?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/