Re: fio sequential workload with zoned distribution

Hi,

On 5 July 2017 at 03:29, abhishek koundal <akoundal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to look at options of doing zoned access but using "sequential" workload.
> Does the below profile achieve that? I want to make sure that using
> the random_distribution wont cause the i/o to behave as random.
>
> rw=write
> random_distribution= 60/10:30/30:10/60
> i.e
> 60% seq wr = first 10% of drive
> 30% seq wr = next 30% of drive
> 10% seq wr = next 60% of drive

I don't think what you're described will work. Besides the mild syntax
issue (you need random_distribution=zoned:parameters as described over
on http://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html#cmdoption-arg-random-distribution
) currently if you want the I/O to follow a distribution other than
uniform by definition it's at odds with being purely sequential - you
lack the ability to choose an area other than just after your last I/O
when you write a new I/O.

Conceptually this is tricky too - at what point would you choose the
next zone to work on? Do I keep overwriting a zone before moving on to
the next and repeating? That would make the leading parts of the zone
slightly hotter than rest if the I/Os don't divide evenly...

Unfortunately the parameter you're trying to use is called
*random*_distribution so it only affects random I/Os.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/