Re: --minimal does not work in client/server mode

Hi,

I'm guessing because I'm not familiar with the code in question:
Over in server.c (e.g.
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/a2c95580b468a1ddd72ecb5532aca7d94f6efa5b/server.c#L986
) you will need to add a new command (e.g. FIO_NET_CMD_SEND_STATUS).
You will need to have the client send this command to the server
periodically when the status interval times out (e.g.
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/a2c95580b468a1ddd72ecb5532aca7d94f6efa5b/client.c#L1929
) presumably by adding something like request_client_statuses that
does has timing logic similar to that in check_for_running_stats
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/b2f4b559a3bc69c384f6c83ee7d8efca7712adc8/stat.c#L1970
. That's the easy part...

When the server receives that command you need to actually summarise
the appropriate stats and send them back to the client. Hopefully the
server fio has been keeping a running cumulative totals somewhere so
you can just look at those and send them back without having to do
further calculation (regular fio seems to do the heavy lifting in a
helper thread that runs __show_running_run_stats -
https://github.com/axboe/fio/blob/b2f4b559a3bc69c384f6c83ee7d8efca7712adc8/stat.c#L1878
).

A drawback with the approach I'm outlining is that each server will
send stats back to the client so the client may print stats info for
different servers at different offsets to others but I think that
simplifies this task.

Good luck!

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/