Re: client/server test to write to single file from all clients

On 05/23/2016 12:25 AM, Ben England wrote:
> Gurvinder,
>
> you are correct, there is a problem at present getting fio threads on multiple clients to share files using the --client option, because it does insert the IP addr of the client in the pathname.  I think the current behavior is a reasonable default behavior - we want "embarrassingly parallel" behavior normally.  For example, fio threads within a single client run on separate files by default.  But it would be useful to be able to override this and have clients share files - this option would be useful for testing distributed filesystems for example.   Perhaps a "--shared-across-clients" option, valid only when --client specified, would be useful in this case?  This would just suppress the insertion of IP address into the filename.  It should be feasible to do this, if people agree that this is what they want.

Thanks Ben for confirming the issue. Yeah the original idea was to test
the distributed file system with multiple clients and writing to same
file. I do understand the verification part is hard to implement in this
case. But adding an option which Jens just did is a good start.

Thanks Jens for fixing it.

- Gurvinder