Re: client/server test to write to single file from all clients

On 05/22/2016 04:25 PM, Ben England wrote:
Gurvinder,

you are correct, there is a problem at present getting fio threads on
multiple clients to share files using the --client option, because it
does insert the IP addr of the client in the pathname.  I think the
current behavior is a reasonable default behavior - we want
"embarrassingly parallel" behavior normally.  For example, fio threads
within a single client run on separate files by default.  But it would
be useful to be able to override this and have clients share files -
this option would be useful for testing distributed filesystems for
example.   Perhaps a "--shared-across-clients" option, valid only when
--client specified, would be useful in this case?  This would just
suppress the insertion of IP address into the filename.  It should be
feasible to do this, if people agree that this is what they want.

Just add an option that default to on to retain the existing behavior,
but allows you to turn off the IP prefixing. I'm open to suggestions. It
only happens with a directory prefix, which is indeed a bit odd.o

http://git.kernel.dk/cgit/fio/commit/?id=922a5be82ca50f7c89a1f9c4b84757ba8636e2d1

--
Jens Axboe