Re: REPORT: High CPU utilization since 2.2.5

On 03/09/2015 04:07 PM, Kudryavtsev, Andrey O wrote:
Thank you for the advise,
Utilization is coming from fio threads, reported I/O is similar to iostat.
Disabling all latency reporting works and returns the CPU utilization back
to normal. Unfortunately this workaround doesn’t work for me, I’m using
latency monitoring a lot for my tests.

I did some more research,
	With latency reporting enabled I’m getеing 350k IOPS instead of 450k.
	With gdot_disable=1 back to normal 450k
	With disable_slat=1 only it gets 420k
	disable_clat=1 doesn’t make any difference and the performace is still
low 350k.

Please, advise.

Please run a git bisect, as suggested. This will help pinpoint what commit made it worse for you. Should be pretty easy to do, since you can reproduce quickly and easily. You mentioned that 2.1.14 works, and that 2.2.5 is broken. So do:

$ git bisect start
$ git bisect good fio-2.1.14
$ git bisect bad fio-2.2.5

Now for each iteration, do:

$ make clean && make -j20
$ ./fio <jobfile>

if the result is slow, do:

$ git bisect bad

and if the result is fast, do:

$ git bisect good

Then go back to the make clean && make and rerun your test case. Repeat this until you've bisected your way to the problematic commit, git will tell you when it's done.

--
Jens Axboe