From:   Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     Edoardo Comar/UK/IBM@IBMGB,
Cc:     fio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   17/05/2013 11:43
Subject:        Re: latency measurements when adding thinktime

On Fri, May 17 2013, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Fri, May 17 2013, Edoardo Comar wrote:
> > Hi Jens,
> >
> > thanks a lot, I tried your suggestion straight away:
> > The cpu line in the output shows that the job has not been idle at
all.
> > but even with thinktime_spin, the latency stays high at at 150ms.
> >
> > Note also that if I increase thinktime & thinktime_spin by another
10000
> > us
> > to a total of 20000, then the reported latency goes up another 150ms
to a
> > total of 300ms.
> > Could this be a bug?
>
> It certainly could. Let me take a look here and see if I can reproduce
> it.

And it was... Basically the same issue that was fixed for rate limiting.
When going to sleep or spinning, ensure that we have all IOs flushed.
Otherwise we could unfairly attribute the sleep towards the completion
latencies.

Fixed here:

http://git.kernel.dk/?p=fio.git;a=commit;h=002e7183cb86d6100efef690b6fa90bf0988b084

or just git pull and you'll get the fix.

--
Jens Axboe

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.