Re: latency measurements when adding thinktime

On Fri, May 17 2013, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Fri, May 17 2013, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Fri, May 17 2013, Edoardo Comar wrote:
> > > Hi Jens,
> > >
> > > thanks a lot, I tried your suggestion straight away:
> > > The cpu line in the output shows that the job has not been idle at all.
> > > but even with thinktime_spin, the latency stays high at at 150ms.
> > >
> > > Note also that if I increase thinktime & thinktime_spin by another 10000
> > > us
> > > to a total of 20000, then the reported latency goes up another 150ms to a
> > > total of 300ms.
> > > Could this be a bug?
> >
> > It certainly could. Let me take a look here and see if I can reproduce
> > it.
>
> And it was... Basically the same issue that was fixed for rate limiting.
> When going to sleep or spinning, ensure that we have all IOs flushed.
> Otherwise we could unfairly attribute the sleep towards the completion
> latencies.
>
> Fixed here:
>
> http://git.kernel.dk/?p=fio.git;a=commit;h=002e7183cb86d6100efef690b6fa90bf0988b084
>
> or just git pull and you'll get the fix.

Also note this:

http://git.kernel.dk/?p=fio.git;a=commit;h=4d01ece69f7b4d7bd56210e0f839944a91c5679f

which explains how thinktime_blocks will effectively reduce iodepth=, if
the former is smaller. So if you want a larger queue depth with
thinktime being set, consider setting thinktime_blocks= to only wait
every X blocks instead. Or keep it at 1, but do realize that this then
caps your effective device queue depth to 1.

--
Jens Axboe