Re: asking for an example job file

On 28 January 2013 02:39, Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24 2013, Greg Sullivan wrote:
> > (resending in plain text - sigh)
> >
> > I tried to use the "rate" functionality on Windows some time ago, and
> > it was extremely erratic. As I recall, the Windows maintainer couldn't
> > reproduce the behaviour I was observing, and since the work I was
> > doing was not critical, I gave up. (yes - I know - boo hiss! :) :)
>
> It might have something to do with some of the timing functions on
> Windows, which are way too coarse to be used for rate limiting. If you
> have the job file that you used handy, I can try and take a look at it.
>
> --

Thanks Jens - here it is:
<read.ini>
[read]
bs=128K
direct=1
size=100M

rate=1M
rw=read
<end read.ini>

Running against a 7200rpm SATA drive. It is very erratic, and locks up
completely. However, if I up the rate to, say, 10MB/s, it works much
better. Also, this is bizarre - it seems to work much better when I
have my browser (Chrome) open! If I close down all the chrome.exe
processes, it then locks up, but only if the rate is low (1MByte/s).
I'll try to create some disk activity using another application and
re-test!

System:
Dell E6500 Latitude laptop, Win7 32-bit, 4GB memory, 7200rpm internal
SATA drive.

Greg.