Re: raw device size used by fio

Follow-up question: Is this following a correct picture, if job file has

        files=/dev/disk1:/dev/disk2:/dev/diskN
        size=S

will this use the first S/N bytes of each file / disk?

If I have a raw device of 16GB and I specify

        files=/dev/disk1
        size=8g
         rw=randread

will fio scatter the 8G of reads across the 16GB or will it limit the
reads to the first 8G?
I want to do the latter. I'm setting up fio to test I/O subsystems but
I first have to initialize the I/O subsystem with writes because some
I/O subsystems "know" there is no data if the data has never been
written to, but I want to limit the amount of data I have to
initialize. For example yesterday the client had 8TB of raw LUNs. It
would have been sufficient for my testing purposes to only use the
first 8G across their 16 LUNs.

Thanks
Kyle

--