Re: fio client/server with different job files

On 2012-08-22 23:46, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 2012-08-23 02:32, Frank Leers wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to lanch fio against multiple servers, each having a
>> unique job file?
>>
>> example
>>
>> (assume fio --server started already on these two nodes)
>> # fio --client=node2 jobfile_for_node2 --client=node3 jobfile_for_node3.cfg
>>
>> Alternately, is there a directive that can be placed into a common job
>> file which would cause a specific server only to run jobs with that
>> directive?
>>
>> example
>>

>> # fio --client=node2 --client=node3 jobfile.cfg
>>

>> jobfile contains:
>>
>> [for_node2_only]
>> filename=/dev/shareddiskA
>> readwrite=read
>> runtime=60
>> ioengine=libaio
>> direct=1
>> iodepth=32
>> fsync_on_close=0
>> time_based
>> ioscheduler=noop
>> blocksize=4M
>> client=node2
>>

>> [for_node3_only]
>> filename=/dev/shareddiskB
>> readwrite=read
>> runtime=60
>> ioengine=libaio
>> direct=1
>> iodepth=32
>> fsync_on_close=0
>> time_based
>> ioscheduler=noop
>> blocksize=4M
>> client=node3
>
> It's not currently possible. It's one of the shortcuts I took when
> developing and testing the client/server mode. In reality it's just due
> to the parser sending all files to all servers, it'd be pretty easy to
> fix up so that you could do:
>
> # fio --client=node2 jobfile_for_node2 --client=node3 jobfile_for_node3.cfg
>
> and have it work exactly as you expect.
>
> I've got some travel time coming up shortly, I'll get this fixed up. You
> are not the first to (rightfully) wonder why it behaves as it currently
> does :-)

Done mid-air (and still 10k up, fwiw), did not take too long. Please try
a current git snapshot, it should have support for doing the above
format of sending different ini files to different clients. I can't
really test it with no other machines to connect to, so feedback would
be appreciated.

--
Jens Axboe