Re: fio client/server with different job files

On 2012-08-23 02:32, Frank Leers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to lanch fio against multiple servers, each having a
> unique job file?
>
> example
>
> (assume fio --server started already on these two nodes)
> # fio --client=node2 jobfile_for_node2 --client=node3 jobfile_for_node3.cfg
>
> Alternately, is there a directive that can be placed into a common job
> file which would cause a specific server only to run jobs with that
> directive?
>
> example
>

> # fio --client=node2 --client=node3 jobfile.cfg
>

> jobfile contains:
>
> [for_node2_only]
> filename=/dev/shareddiskA
> readwrite=read
> runtime=60
> ioengine=libaio
> direct=1
> iodepth=32
> fsync_on_close=0
> time_based
> ioscheduler=noop
> blocksize=4M
> client=node2
>

> [for_node3_only]
> filename=/dev/shareddiskB
> readwrite=read
> runtime=60
> ioengine=libaio
> direct=1
> iodepth=32
> fsync_on_close=0
> time_based
> ioscheduler=noop
> blocksize=4M
> client=node3

It's not currently possible. It's one of the shortcuts I took when
developing and testing the client/server mode. In reality it's just due
to the parser sending all files to all servers, it'd be pretty easy to
fix up so that you could do:

# fio --client=node2 jobfile_for_node2 --client=node3 jobfile_for_node3.cfg

and have it work exactly as you expect.

I've got some travel time coming up shortly, I'll get this fixed up. You
are not the first to (rightfully) wonder why it behaves as it currently
does :-)

--
Jens Axboe