Re: IOPS higher than expected on randwrite, direct=1 tests

Hi John,

* John Cagle <jcagle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is your iSCSI target also in a virtual machine?  If so, maybe the
> hypervisor (vmware? kvm?) is caching the 10GB volume that is being
> used by the iSCSI target?

thanks for answering. No hypervisor involved on the iSCSI target, it's
an oldish Infortrend storage [1] for which I am trying to determine the
performance profile. Anything else along the stack that might skew the
test results?

Just to make sure my understanding is correct:
- direct=1 should mitigate (disable?) OS caching effects
- sync=1, iodepth=1 should make sure that an I/O has really made it to
  disk before the next on is issued, i.e. should de-facto disable
  I/O coalescing or device caching

Are these sane/valid assumptions?

Sebastian

[1] http://www.infortrend.com/main/2_product/es_a16e-g2130-4.asp