Re: virtinst: do I have virtualization or not?

On 03/17/2011 04:27 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 08:24:31PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>
>> After some googling, I found this debian bug report:

>> Seems like hypervisor just means you are booted into xen, and doesn't say
>> anything about whether fullvirt is supported.
>>
>> Does booting into a regular kernel show svm in cpuinfo? Anything interesting
>> in 'xm dmesg'?
>>

> When running under Xen you need to use "xm info" and check the caps
> if you can run HVM (hardware virtualized) or not.
>
> Dom0 Linux kernel won't see the cpu flags in /proc/cpuinfo
> since dom0 is a VM, and the hypervisor is hiding the flags from VMs.
> (at least until Xen Nested Hw Virt is merged, which should be soon).
>
> Other option is to read "xm dmesg" for supported features:
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems#head-39c253c76df6f0fa4fb7ff4769cc733284bac9cb

Thanks for the info. Since libvirt still correctly detects hypervisor caps, I
patched virtinst to not report an error if HVM guest support is reported. The
original reported wouldn't see an error using current upstream code:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=python-virtinst.git;a=commit;h=b17faec2e522ea54fc1a58fe6372b69fc3f0be08

Thanks,
Cole