Re: virtinst: do I have virtualization or not?

On 03/16/2011 04:32 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 12:53 PM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 03/16/2011 03:00 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Using f14-x86_64 installed from the LiveCD with myoung's f12-xendom0.
>>> It boots both standalone and with xen.
>>>
>>> /sys/hypervisor is populated.
>>>
>>> /proc/cpuinfo reports CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 B60 "Black Edition".
>>> Virtualization is [ENABLED] in the BIOS.
>>>

> Thanks for the reply, Cole.
>>
>> Could help to provide the full /proc/cpuinfo output, as well as 'virsh
>> --connect xen:/// capabilities' as root
>
> http://pastebin.com/t6pUs03p

Well, seems like libvirt is reporting that you can indeed install fullvirt
guests, so despite that error message in virt-manager things should work fine.

>>> I'm trying to add a virtual machine using Virtual Machine Manager 0.8.5
>>> but when I select *New* I receive the following:
>>>
>>> "Warning: Host does not appear to support hardware virtualization.
>>> Install options may be limited."
>>>
>>> According to this link (s.b. one line) it does.
>>>
>>> "http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X2%20560%20-%20HDZ560WFK2DGM%20%28HDZ560WFGMBOX%29.html";.
>>>

>>> Now according to another webpage the AMD processor must have the flag
>>> "svm" to have virtualization.  My CPU does NOT have that flag but it
>>> does have one called "hypervisor".
>>>

>> Hmm, not sure what the hypervisor flag is, but virtinst is looking for vmx or
>> svm reported in libvirt capabilities
>
> Could be as simple as adding "hypervisor" to the list of acceptable flags, but
> I wouldn't put a paycheck on that guess ;)

After some googling, I found this debian bug report:

Seems like hypervisor just means you are booted into xen, and doesn't say
anything about whether fullvirt is supported.

Does booting into a regular kernel show svm in cpuinfo? Anything interesting
in 'xm dmesg'?

- Cole