Re: No pcifront in F10?

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:40:13AM +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 22 October 2010 13:33, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Xen PV-on-HVM support is included in upstream Linux 2.6.36 !
>
> I was referring to the name of stefano's git tree, he's now labelled a
> linux-next branch.
>
> > Xen pcifront (and maybe basic dom0 without backend drivers)
> > should make it into 2.6.37.
> `
> Yes, as noted, it would be nice to run Fedora as my mythbackend (with
> tuners) in a domU again (my server has IOMMU chipset but no BIOS
> support so HVM with PCI passthrough not an option) I'm currently stuck
> on CentOS5 and have to build my own dom0 and domU kernels.
>
> As I understand it, the "initial domain" stuff would help pave the way
> for a pvops dom0, but in itself wouldn't be useful to end users - I
> suspect that might still get a rougher ride

"Full dom0" support will be added in small steps.
So that "initial domain" stuff is the important "first step".

Like said it doesn't (yet) contain any Xen backend drivers,
so you can boot the computer to dom0, but can't launch any other guests etc.

Then again it's pretty easy/simple to maintain those backend drivers out-of-tree,
or just add them to the upstream kernel yourself, until backend stuff is merged.

And yes, there will be rough edges, just like with any bigger merge.

-- Pasi