xenbr0 failure when changing motherboard

I've just asked this on the xen list, but I suspect it may be an aliasing problem on Fedora 8, so I though I'd ask here.

I have a production system (ie. I can't upgrade it) which has an F8 Dom0 with various DomU's (the Dom0 is kernel 2.6.21-2952, with Xen 3.0-x86_64). I needed to change the motherboard, so I just moved the drive to a new motherboard.

Amazingly, everything works, apart from one problem. I had to change the guest configs to use virbr0 rather than zenbr0 (in the vif line in the old-style config file).

The problem with virbr0 is that I've now got a local subnet; the domU's can see out, but I can't see into the DomU's from the network. The previous (xenbr0) setup was that the DomU's got an IP address from an external hardware router, and everything was on the same 196.168.1 subnet.

Now, I could presumably fix this through a libvirt setup, but I want to change as little as possible, and the DomU's don't currently use libvirt configuration files. So, if possible, I'd like to go back to the xenbr0 setup.

When I try to boot with a xenbr0 setup, I get:

Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Could not find bridge device xenbr0.

What I think has happened is that the existing fc8-xen on my hard drive is confused about the network hardware on the new motherboard (a Dell R200 server). When the new board originally booted up, networking was disabled, but I fixed this by aliasing eth0 to eth3. The (old) driver seemed to have identified the new NICs at eth3 and eth4, rather than eth0/1. Anyway, that fixed the network on Dom0, but it seems to be giving Xen a headache when it boots any DomU's.

I know that F8 had problems in the network-bridge script related to aliasing, but network-bridge runs without producing errors, so I'm not convinced that that's the problem here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks -

Evan