Re: xen to kvm migration question

Paul Wouters wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Avi Kivity wrote:

qemu provides -kernel and -initrd flags for this; however I don't know if
virt-manager supports this.

So with kvm i am still using qemu?

Yes; qemu provides emulation for the disk, network, and display devices, etc.

I find that a kernel+initrd inside the guest disk image is much more
maintainable; for example 'yum update kernel' will update your guest kernel
rather than having to copy files around.

I find it much easier to mount fs images, then to go hunt for offset's for
mount in disk images.

Linux 2.6.26 supports partitionable loops devices, so you can loopback mount your disk image and then mount filesystems off /dev/loop0p1, /dev/loop0p2, etc.

Also, during the xen2->xen3 and the non-PAE to PAE
migrations, I liked my kernel and initrd separately :)

kvm supports pae and nonpae regardless of how the host kernel was compiled, so you can happily run an pae guest on top of a nonpae host.