Re: virt* source

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Thanks Rich

I am unfamiliar with the tools I need to put that statement to the test. INSTALL says to run ./configure, but there is no ./configure to run.

The website does say how to get the source with hg, and how to submit changes, but I can't see how to go from the checkout to building and installing.

I'm not sure which INSTALL file you're reading, but once you've got the source for virtinst--devel from hg you need to use the standard python way to build it. Try:

The one checked out in the source tree, one of thse:
virt-manager--devel/INSTALL
virt-viewer--devel/INSTALL

  python setup.py --help

That seems likely to work for one of the four. I've checked out virt-manager-web--devel but not yet looked at it.

If this is Fedora, another, better route to go down is to build it from the .src.rpm using rpmbuild. Try the first suggestion on this page:

  http://fedoranews.org/tchung/rpmbuild/

I do not want to replace the standard F8 software, but I do want to be able to build and run the latest from the Hg repo.

You snipped my actual question and its rationale:
<<Z
Where is the documentation?

I do want to use alternative binaries (but then again I don't), but I do not wish to replace any standard part of F8.

That precludes the use of rpmbuild (unless the rpm is relocatable).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait