Re: Guest Image File Size

I think you'll get the same sort of thing if you gzip the file. I've gzip'd some 20G xen images down to around 2G.

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:42:40PM -0500, Aaron Metzger wrote:
Sadique Puthen wrote:

Basically it if you don't pre-allocate the entire image, virt-manager creates a sparse file to store the guest data which only occupies disk blocks while you write contents to that sparse file . When checking the size of the pre-allocated and sparse images, you should use "du", not "ls -lh".

Thank you for your insight.  You are correct.

I have a guest image stored in a file called "subversion".

"du" shows the actual size being used is smaller than what "ls" thinks.

du -a subversion
2158768 subversion

ls -ld subversion
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 64424509441 2007-11-27 18:16 subversion

You don't need to use  'du' - just use the '-s' flag to ls

$ ls -lsh dan1.img 16K -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2.1G 2007-11-29 17:51 dan1.img

Shows its physical size is 16k, while its logical size is 2.1 GB.

I have a follow up question though. How do you cleanly backup and restore these files using the smaller amount of space? Any simplistic program that I try (e.g. "tar") also thinks my file is 60 Gig not 2 Gig and creates a real file that uses 60 Gig of actual disk space.

Use the --sparse option with tar.

       -S, --sparse
              handle sparse files efficiently

Can anyone share the simple steps with "dd" or other programs that let you cleanly store a backup of the guest image which uses the smaller amount of space and also correctly restores from that backup in a way that preserves the orginal idea of a 60 Gig max guest disk size?

'cp' will also try to detect sparse files & handle them properly, but
if it gets it wrong you can also use  '--sparse=always'

Dan