Re: Me too - Re: dissapearing guests

Great when there is a simple fix. Thanks soooo much. Is this documented somewhere and I missed it?

Rodger Haynes wrote:
Thanks - that works great!

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:54:27AM -0500, Rodger Haynes wrote:
I am experiencing the same problem on a new Dell Optiplex GX520. I'm new at this as well.

Paul O'rorke wrote:
maybe I've missed something but if I reboot or shutdown a guest domain I can't start it again. xm --list doesn't show the domain. From the Virtual Machine Manager (FC6) if I go : File --> Restore saved machine (Restore a saved machine from a filesystem image) and pint to /vm/webserver I get a dialogue box stating:

   *Error restoring domain '/vm/webserver'.  Is the domain already
   running?*

Similary if I try to restore from the disk file with xm restore I get the following:

   *# xm restore /vm/webserver*
   *Error: Restore failed*
   *Usage: xm restore <CheckpointFile>*

   *Restore a domain from a saved state.*

I'm guessing that the disk file is not the correct file to restore
>from - <CheckpointFile>?? but I can't find anywhere documentation
on how to open these machines.

No, the 'restore' functionality is for re-activating a suspended VM
that has previously been saved out to disk with 'save'. Think of it
as equivalent of 'hibernate to disk' on your laptop.

If you shutdown/reboot the domain then 'restore' is not what you want
instead you want 'create' which is equivalent of cold boot on a laptop.
eg, 'xm create <name>'.
Unfortunately once you shutdown a domain, XenD looses all knowledge of
it - that's why 'xm list' didn't show it, and virt-manager can't see
it. Rest assured the domain is stilon disk - the config file is kept
in /etc/xen. If you use 'xm create' then it loads the config file into
XenD and boots the domain.

We're actively working on getting support for inactivate domains into
virt-manager which will help resolve the confusion in this area.

Regards,
Dan.