dissapearing guests

maybe I've missed something but if I reboot or shutdown a guest domain I can't start it again.  xm --list doesn't show the domain.  From the Virtual Machine Manager (FC6) if I go :  File --> Restore saved machine  (Restore a saved machine from a filesystem image) and pint to /vm/webserver I get a dialogue box stating:

Error restoring domain '/vm/webserver'.  Is the domain already running?

Similary if I try to restore from the disk file with xm restore I get the following:

# xm restore /vm/webserver
Error: Restore failed
Usage: xm restore <CheckpointFile>

Restore a domain from a saved state.

I'm guessing that the disk file is not the correct file to restore from   -  <CheckpointFile>?? but I can't find anywhere documentation on how to open these machines.

This is my first bash at virtualization in Xen so I appologize if I've missed something in the docs.  What can I do to open this guest?