Re: [Fedora-tools-list] diff between #include <fred.h> and #include "fred"

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> On Tuesday, Jan 4th 2005 at 09:43 -0500, quoth Robert P. J. Day:
>
> =>
> =>  with respect to the gcc preprocessor, is it correct to say that,
> =>unless i use some of the preprocessor include options to change how
> =>include directives are processed, the only difference between the
> =>following two statements:
> =>
> =>  #include <fred.h>
> =>  #include "fred.h"
> =>
> =>is that the latter will first search the current directory?  with that
> =>exception, will both forms then search identically based on system
> =>directories and "-I" options?
> =>
> =>  i can also see how i can change this with options like "-I-", and
> =>-nostdinc and -include, but i wanted to verify what happens with none
> =>of these other options.
>
> <> is used to access system include files. "" is used to access user
> include files.

i understand *philosophically* what the difference is -- what i was
asking is the *precise* processing logic behind them.  for instance, i
can certainly use

  #include "stdio.h"

and the preprocessor will find that system include file.  on the other
hand, as long as i use the appropriate "-I" option, i can include my
personal header files with:

  #include <fred.h>

so it's not as cut-and-dried as you suggest.  in short, i'm still
curious about the *exact* difference in processing between those two
constructs.

rday

[Index of Archives]     [GCC Help]     [Fedora Development]     [Fedora Announce]     [Fedora Legacy Announce]     [Home]     [Fedora Config]     [PAM]     [Red Hat 9]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]