Re:Fedora 15 Final Release Candidate 2 (RC2) - GRUB problem [solved]

On 05/13/2011 10:34 PM, Frederic Muller wrote:
On 05/13/2011 09:57 PM, Frederic Muller wrote:
Dear all,

I'm running in a small problem which has been consistent in all DVD images I've installed since Alpha (I thought I was the culprit).

Here is what I do:
1. Download DVD iso image
2. Use livecd-iso-to-disk to copy to USB
3. Boot from USB to install on laptop
4. Select all default option except disk partitioning:
 - custom
 - I create 3 partitions: / & /home ext4 and swap
5. Install prompts from GRUB install which is /dev/sdb1 (USB) by default
6. I change it to /dev/sda1 (which is the other options)
7. Validate and complete install "successfully"

=> Laptop doesn't boot (no error message)

In fact grub is installed on /dev/sdb1 no matter what I select apparently and I then go to system restore to install grub on /dev/sda1

So is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Fred
Replying to myself. After reinstalling GRUB using chroot and grub-install /dev/sda1

I get an error 15 which is supposed to be a grub-legacy error.. though the HDD is brand new (was just delivered today).

What could be the problem (forgot what I did last time I faced the problem).

Thanks.

Fred

(finally) looked at grub.conf and it still had (hd1,0) instead of (hd0,0).
Note that I also did the root (hd0,0) and setup (hd0) before. Apparently didn't work neither.

Should I file a bug?

Fred