Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Final Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 20:27 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 12:25:34 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 18:21 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> 	[....]
> >> 	Even if I had the time, it would take me months or years of study
> >> to become able to follow at that level, alas! But I'm glad to do what I
> >> can without that.
> >
> > It really shouldn't - the workflow is as simple as: download the test
> > image, click on a test case link on the matrix,
>
> 	Test image? matrix?? You've lost me.

The image is linked right at the top of the page:

"Download the ISO images for testing: please use either the DVD
installer image, or the nightly live image for the desktop you wish to
test. Testing for all four major desktop environments is required for
each test point. Delta_ISOs for installer images are also available
here. "

That sentence includes links.

'Matrix' just refers to the table with results in it. That section of
the page is titled "Test Matrix" in big, bold letters.

> > follow the instructions
> > in the test case (they're really easy),
>
> 	No doubt, if you're familiar with the words and their meanings.

The test cases are written as simply as we could make them. Most of them
ought to be understandable by anyone who can actually install and run
Fedora.

> > and then add in your result
> > based on the outcome of the test. It's not meant to be difficult or
> > complicated or need extra study at all.
>
> 	I didn't intend to imply it was *meant* to be; but, alas!, so it
> is in fact to those without background. Very similarly, those fluent in a
> given language usually imagine it utterly easy -- until they try to teach
> it to others unfamiliar with it.

We do take this into consideration and try to be quite careful to make
the process entirely self-documented. It would help if you'd be more
specific about where you got stuck trying to simply follow the
instructions on the wiki page.

> 	Or to take a third case, I could give you a lecture off the top
> of my head, effortlessly, on the history and theory of the Germanic
> languages and literatures, which (unless you're already knowledgeable or
> I pitched it appropriately (knowing how by long practice)) you'd find
> bewildering. Otoh, that double parenthesis I just committed probably
> won't've bothered you nearly so much as it would have an English major.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with nested
parentheses. Neither does any C coder...=)

> 	In all cases, the adept have learned so much, for so long, that
> they disremember the effort it once took (in early childhood, in the case
> of a mother tongue).
>
> > Here's a practical example...
> >
> > Okay, we have our F15 TC1 Desktop live image, let's go to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Desktop_Test . Look
> > at the matrix, and click on the first test case - that's
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_browser .
>
> 	desktop browser??

It's a link. Click on it. 'Desktop' is the type of test case it is (it's
one of the set of desktop tests). 'Browser' is a description of this
test case itself - it's a web browser test. But why not just click on
it, and see? It lists six simple things you can do to check that a web
browser is pretty much working. I really struggle to see how anyone who
can drive Fedora couldn't complete that test.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey