Re: Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:

> JB (jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com) said:
> > Now this:
> > http://gnome3.org/
> >
> > "A satisfying experience, whatever kind of computer you use: GNOME 3 will
> > feel right at home on netbooks as well as larger machines"
> >
> > Really ? Like servers. workstations, PCs, notebooks ? Used by RH enterprise
> > customers, non-technical businesses (big and small), users who do not sleep
> > with their computers but use them as *tools* to accomplish their daily
> > tasks ?
>
> Why, yes, that would be the goal. Is there something wrong with that?
> (You've essentially restated the goal without comment or data. How am I
> supposed to parse that, other than just implied sarcasm?)

I forgot to mention that there is an opinion or stated goal of GNOME 3 that
its target should be "smart devices" (the food chain below netbooks), that's
why the new GUI of its Shell.

I do not think you can cover with one infrastructure and GUI a spectrum  of
so different hardware, software, and DE requirements.

Hope this makes it clearer.

> > Why did Fedora decide to abandon Gnome 2, instead of offering Gnome 3 as
> > an experimental college-level project via a spin (as one poster here
> > already asked),  representing a work-in-progress where geeks still learn
> > their Computer Science principles and skills ?
>
> Well, that's a nice bit of assumption-of-stupidity invective there. Now that
> you've insulted people, they will certainly all turn around to your point of
> view!
>
> (Then again, given you decided to post on upstream lists that, because you
> don't like the activities design, they should start kicking the developers
> responsible for GNOME 3 out of the project, I'm not sure I should be
> surprised.)

I stand by that.
My opinion is that geeks are self-made "holy cows", wanting "world
 domination", etc.

The reality is that they are popular movement, having a delusion that it is
enuf to know how to use a compiler and some languages to be able to "produce"
functional and modern software products.
That there is more to that proves the GNOME 3 Shell vice GNOME 2 debacle.

They are perceived as not "reliable" by many, even in their own milieu.

Geeks have to learn a lot beyond hacking. There are customer bases, people and
big and serious organizations of all kinds, who are not of geeks-kind, who pay
or are willing to pay for products that serve *their* needs.

If geeks can flip from GNOME 2 to 3 "just like that", they are basically saying
they do not give a penny about their long-term customer base, or any base for
that matter. They want to serve their own itch and ego.

That's why I say geeks who hold positions of responsibility should be held
accountable for themselves and their co-geeks. And that means they should be
removed from the projects if the results warrant.

They show that they are irresponsible, inexperienced, and plain stupid.

JB