Re: GNOME 3 != KDE 4 (was Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's not really true, but often what's said is misrepresented as this.
> GNOME 3 has a powerful extensions mechanism, and major future plans for
> development. A lot of things 'missing' in GNOME 3 compared to GNOME 2
> aren't going to be replaced as part of GNOME's core development, but
> could certainly be replaced by extensions. A lot of other things
> 'missing' aren't going to be re-added in the same form, but the form
> isn't really the important thing. Consider panel applets. The point
> isn't really the form of a panel applet, which was never the greatest
> form in the first place, but the functionality. Is it that you want a
> weather panel applet, or that you want to be able to tell what the
> weather is quickly? Because you're probably not going to get the first,
> but you may well get the second.

I am convinced that you are right about this but the critical factor
will be how long it takes for the extensions to be developed - the
crucial outcome is what users will do in the period when gnome3 is the
gnome desktop and released in f15, and the time, somewhat later, when
the useful extensions and added functionality have been developed and
released? Will users stay with Gnome3 after installing F15? Will they
turn to KDE4 which has indeed been developed a lot since the rather
stuttering initial KDE 4.0 release?  Will they turn to other DEs like
xfce or lxde?

If some users switch to KDE again they might then be disinclined to
return to Gnome3 for some time?

It will certainly be interesting to see the chatter here in the weeks
following GA!

--
mike c