Re: GNOME 3 != KDE 4 (was Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...)

On Sun, 2011-04-24 at 16:09 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> By comparison, if one believes the statements that have been made by
> GNOME developers in various blogs, mailing lists, etc., most of the
> features that people miss from GNOME 2.x are never coming back.  This is
> very different.

That's not really true, but often what's said is misrepresented as this.
GNOME 3 has a powerful extensions mechanism, and major future plans for
development. A lot of things 'missing' in GNOME 3 compared to GNOME 2
aren't going to be replaced as part of GNOME's core development, but
could certainly be replaced by extensions. A lot of other things
'missing' aren't going to be re-added in the same form, but the form
isn't really the important thing. Consider panel applets. The point
isn't really the form of a panel applet, which was never the greatest
form in the first place, but the functionality. Is it that you want a
weather panel applet, or that you want to be able to tell what the
weather is quickly? Because you're probably not going to get the first,
but you may well get the second.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey