Re: optimizing systemd, was: f15 no longer starts

2011/3/20 Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 03/20/2011 03:43 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> In a stable distribution such situation would not be possible because
> of the whole testing procedures etc.
>
> But of course there should be a way to avoid such situation. I hope
> that Lennart will find a good way to solve this problem soon.

 Then make the variable timeout default to 30 secs - so worst case
services get started and system runs ... individual services which
actually require the pre-requisite - can change the timeout variable to
demand pre-req is satisfied - of course even these will presumably fail
(hopeflly gracefully).

 So the answer seems to be implement a timeout for pre-requisites and
default it to something sensible - ... fixup any upstart files as needed
- since the systemd unit files are all new anyway - we should be fine
with this.

although i understand the general idea about systemd, i believe that in fedora's case there has to be a plan which says who starts when, and what requires what. then, if thngs don't go that well, as it happened with this rsyslog update, the plan can be imporved.