Re: What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

On 01/25/2011 08:27 PM, drago01 wrote:
> I though it was obvious that requiring the user to go read the release
> notes to get the expected user experience is just wrong.

I thought It was obvious that adding a dependency from GNOME Panel to
GNOME Shell is just wrong too.   It is natural that GNOME Shell
developers want to provide that experience but that doesn't mean just
adding a dependency somewhere randomly is the right idea.  If users
don't read the release notes, they are missing a number of changes in
the user experience all the time.  For instance, we change the default
or add additional apps to the desktop group often and the users are
missing that.

>> If you insist that a artificial dependency is the right
>> way,  then not much can be done about it.
> It isn't ideal but the costs are few megabytes of disk space versus
> the benefit of a better upgrade experience.
> Unless we have a better way (which we should have to handle cases like
> this), I'd take that cost

Others have explained what problems they are trying to solve other than
disk space already.

Rahul