Re: Users are supposed to test latest F14 mdadm update?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:41:14 +0100, Dennis wrote:

> > Don't you trust the results of the testing [process] in general?
> > Or do you think the mentioned tests are insufficient?
> > And why would less verbose update notes be preferable?
>
> I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I'm trying to understand what exactly your main concerns are:

1) The Update Details, which contain instructions for testers as
well as normal users (and which, unfortunately, are overlong and
duplicate due to a bug/feature in bodhi).

2) The update itself, which frightens you somehow.

> This is a regular update aimed at
> normal users and it instructs them to "remake their initramfs images they
> boot from". Why are regular users expected to do this?

They don't need to. They're instructions for anyone, who would like to
learn what might be important when testing/evaluating this update. Note
that even for production machines, many admins are expected to test the
roll-out of _stable_ updates on special test machines, which duplicate (or
are very similar to) the production environment. Making sure a rebuilt
initramfs image doesn't stop a machine from booting could be an essential
detail.

> I thought regular updates to releases are supposed to be stable and if they
> are not then why bother with having a distinct update-testing repo?

Cannot parse that question. I've asked you a few brief questions, and
you haven't answered them either.

Have you read the testers' comments yet?
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mdadm-3.1.3-0.git20100804.2.fc14