Re: ot : _download_ requirements?

2010/10/30 Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 14:53 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 08:41:50PM +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>  > 2010/10/29 Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>  > > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 09:06:42AM +0300, cornel panceac wrote:
>  > >  > here
>  > >  > http://fedoraproject.org/
>  > >  > i see a section called "Download requirements"
>  > >  >
>  > >  > shouldn't it be "Install requirements" instead?
>  > >
>  > > Also the '400MHz pentium pro' part reads oddly, given the
>  > > fastest pentium pro was 200MHz.
>  >
>  > Maybe "Runs fine on Atom 230?" - in terms of speed it's like 2000/2001
>  > cpu. Sounds reasonable enough?
>
> I'd suggest just replacing with "a modern processor". It's ambiguous, but
> it doesn't encourage people to go dig out things from last century.

I'd like to just ditch the whole section and replace it with something
vaguer. Maybe realistic minimums for the default desktop, and a note
that the requirements will vary widely depending on what you're doing
with the system. (My mailserver is currently using a princely 119MB of
RAM, and that's a perfectly valid use case for Fedora. Well, that
actually runs Mandriva, but I expect it'd be much the same on Fedora.)

unfortunately, anaconda itself has it's own minimum requirements, which are bigger than the linux itself requirements . so i doubt anaconda will run on systems with less than 256 mb of ram . maybe that's where 384 is coming from.

This should be filed as a request for the docs team, as they own the
relevant document.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey