Re: QA:Testcase Anaconda User Interface serial console

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Anaconda_User_Interface_serial_console
>
> Does this work for you?
>
> "When using upstart (Fedora9), you may confirm that the serial device is
> configured for login by examining the output of initctl."
>
> "initctl" itself doesn't work, "initctl list" seems to do what we need.
> I also tried "initctl status serial", but that returns "initctl: Unknown
> parameter: DEV".
>
> Should the wiki be updated?
>
> (We should also remove pre-Fedora9 instructions, that's for sure).

A few years back I used to use netconsole to diagnose kernel crashes
and I am attaching those notes here (not sure if this still works
without change though):

If it is necessary to capture kernel messages from a crash when
nothing gets logged to /var/log/messages when rsyslog fails to get
lines into the log, then
To capture printk kernel messages from one machine to another on the
same network:

1) Machine to be debugged is connected via ether wired at eg 10.0.0.50

2) Machine to do the capture is for example at 10.0.0.59
with MAC 00:13:CE:54:AB:88 (say)

3) On capturing machine open a console and switch off firewall, then do
nc -l -u 6666
This means the machine is listening on port 6666

4) On machine to be debugged boot up and once setup as normal, then do
ctrl-alt-f3i (say) and login as root.

5) Do the following:
netconsole netconsole=4444@xxxxxxxxx/eth0,6666@xxxxxxxxx/00:13:CE:54:AB:88

echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
resizecons -lines 50

Now make the system crash and any kernel messages are printed on the
alternate console, and copied to the listening machine - and from
there the lines can
be copied into a file.

It may be possible to use "tee" to put another copy directly into a file.
Further info at
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
and
man nc

Also it may be possible to boot with netconsole running via a kernel
line edit - and then capture crashes earlier in the boot process.

I hope this may help?
--
mike c