Re: Post install dual-head nouveau setup?

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 00:55 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Played with this some more today, and successfully got both heads active
> (thanks). There are still quite a few "warts" however.
>
> 1- My main display is a 42" HDTV (1080p) that runs at 1920x1080. X
> however wants to start at 1080i. I can manually set it, but it did not
> want to start up right without an xorg.conf.

That sounds odd, you should have to work quite hard to get X to output
an interlaced signal. Perhaps it's just outputting something your TV
*thinks* is 1080i? Can you please post the X logs somewhere so we can
see?

> 2- How and where is the ability to write out an xorg.conf with the
> current settings?

Well, you can run X -configure , but it doesn't really give you exactly
that. It just gives you a very basic xorg.conf with the driver
specified. I can't think of a particular reason you'd need an xorg.conf
which exactly reflected the current auto-detected configuration (and
it'd be rather long as it'd have to codify all the RandR stuff). If you
just add whatever configuration *change* you need to the basic xorg.conf
you can get by doing X -configure, it should work as you'd expect.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf .

> 3- Where is the "Individual Desktop" setting? Bonus points if you can
> add a second Keyboard and Mouse for the second head and *not* allow
> either pointer to the other head.

I don't really know if there's anything like this.

> 4- Running a 3D game (which did start up, btw!) and exiting the game
> results in the second head being deactivated, and everything squished
> into the primary display, and off center to the right in my case by
> about 1/4 screen (second head is "LeftOf" primary). It can be
> reactivated by manually running xrandr with all the options, but
> shouldn't it just go back to the previous (default) settings?

That's a bug, please report it on Bugzilla.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey