Re: Installing ten days of upgrades leaves system unusable

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 11:57 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> In addition the graphics (Intel based, this is not a game machine) are painfully
> slow, having dropped from ~1k/fps in glxgears to 60, and displays of anything
> graphic coming up at sand painting speed. This has to be the worst X upgrade
> I've ever seen, video is totally impossible, I'm estimating 30 frames per
> *minute* now.

glxgears is not a benchmark. The reason the 'speed' of glxgears has
dropped significantly for everyone using an intel chip lately is simply
that it now runs synced to the vertical refresh, so on most monitors
it'll run at 50, 60 or 75fps.

Clearly you have some bug here, but the glxgears result has nothing to
do with it. Update again to the latest X server, kernel and intel driver
packages - -12 for server, -4 for driver, -79 for kernel - and try
again; if you're still having problems, file a bug.

> I know a new release will have bugs, but I would expect the upgrades to fix bugs
> found, not add new ones for our amusement. FC13 looked really solid when
> released, I should have stopped upgrading the kernel and X while they were at
> the high point of their usefulness cycle.

Er, F13 hasn't been released. It's still in pre-release, and if it
breaks, you get to keep both pieces, as is always the case with
pre-releases.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey