Starting LXDE session from runlevel 3; nouveau comment

I may be the only person in Fedora-land who wants to do this, but I
normally boot into runlevel 3 then start my X session (as a normal user)
using the startx command. The only way I could figure out to do this
(other than running lxdm as root) is to create the file
/etc/sysconfig/desktop with the contents PREFERRED=startlxde. This
feels wrong. I thought the logical way to do this was to set
WM=startlxde in ~/.Xclients-default, but that method does not work.
FWIW, I installed the April 15 (GNOME) nightly compose; installed all
the lxde components I wanted, then deleted all the GNOME
components I didn't want - there was no lxde nightly compose on
April 16 when I checked.

Nouveau works for me  (smolt profile
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_c3a13690-ccd2-4ceb-b1af-f5c6eef55481)