Re: Fedora install support for netbooks -- small screen size

On 01/06/2010 05:20 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 04:30:06PM -0500, Christopher Beland wrote:
On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:47 -0500, Fulko Hew wrote:
Shouldn't the symptom be solved at the root of the problem, not
inside every app?
I think we generally end up with better usability if we address the
problem at the application level.

With the majority of Desktops and Window Managers, one can resize a
Window, play with the resolution, and so forth. So the problem is worst
in installation, especially as textmode install now has more severe
limitations.  There are workarounds, I suppose, prepare the disk in
advance, or something, but I haven't tried any.

There is always VNC, and I have used that. I have even (with Centos) built special install CDs that connected to my desktop. Thing is, you then have to keep your system stable for the whole install.

If the system has a keyboard and screen, it is nice to be able to use it.

I seem to recall the same problem with some Debian based systems as
well, and even, possibly, ones that are theoretically specially designed
for netbooks.
My memory is now hazy on it.  I have Aspire One, where I put on EEEbuntu
for my wife and my own 1000HE (10 inch screen---the Aspire is 8 or 9, I
believe) and don't remember too many problems--however, having done so
many installs, it's quite possible that I simply muttered a bad word and
hit alt N or whatever.

I would think that Anaconda would be the most important thing to get
working.