Re: Installing Rawhide

On 12/01/2009 09:33 PM, Mike Chambers wrote:
On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 20:24 -0600, Todd wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Jesse Keating<jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 16:32 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:

I believe I remember you stating this some time during F12 development
but I can't remember when.  I believe it was stated that if you want to
run rawhide and need to do an install, you'll either install F12 and yum
update to rawhide from there (maybe after doing a completed update
first?) or if in development in middle of a cycle, you install the
beta/rc/whatever and update to rawhide from that.

(obviously if test images are created that goes to this as well)

Does that sound about correct?

That's right.  A small wrinkle is that you might even be able to use the
F12 installer images, but point to rawhide as your install source and
then you would install all the rawhide packages directly skipping the
update step.

How will Anaconda get tested if the version in Rawhide is never used?

I think what Jesse (and whomever else) is saying, is when anaconda is
ready for testing, something will be done so that it can.  Otherwise, it
will be getting worked on and they (the anaconda developers) will know
what the status is already on their own.  I'm sure they know what it's
status is most of the time and when they need to find out something or
need more eyes, then we will get to try it and keep them informed.

Reading the anaconda list, I see a very large number of changes coming down the road, all significant and probably as complex as the storage rewrite. I bet the anaconda developers would appreciate the widest possible testing as soon as changes hit rawhide.

If rawhide is to be frozen, can a mechanism to test anaconda, at a minimum, be provided? Testing the rest of rawhide is easy and has been well documented.

Thanks, from a cheerful anaconda tester who may now be tearful.