Re: Fedora 12 QA retrospective - feedback needed

On 11/26/2009 07:59 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Nov 26, 2009, at 2:41, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg@xxxxx> wrote:

On 11/26/2009 07:03 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:15:30 -0800,
Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

even despite that, public testing of RCs can _sometimes_ be useful, but
the problem is that if we publicise them any more than they're already
publicised, the single server on which they're located will bog down
and
stop people who really need them from getting them fast enough. And
given the time constraints, it's practically impossible to mirror or
torrent them usefully.

Would providing detailed documentation for people to build these images
using a small amount of data from releng and the rest from public (or
local)
mirrors be worth the effort to set up? This is a higher bar than dealing
with a complete image and there may not be enough people who take
advantage
of it to be worth the effort. I am also not sure if the process is
repeatable
so as to get bit for bit accuracy from private spins. But it does
seem there
should be a way to pull most of the data for the image from mirrors
rather
than from releng's server.

That wont work we need to make sure all the testers are testing the same
bits hence it's best that we create and hand out the images.....

That's what beta, which used to be named preview, is for. It is the
image we sync out to the world. The RCs come shortly after and fix
anything critical found in the beta. RCs are fast and furious, no chance
in mirroring and waiting days for feedback.

Do we say this directly anywhere in our docs... spell out the purpose for Alpha and Beta?

I'm trying to pull more of this stuff together so we have a a canonical place to point people to explaining how our release processes work.

John