Re: RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Chris Adams wrote:

I personally rsync rawhide to my disk server at home.  I can PXE boot
test installs, and I keep a fairly up-to-date KVM virtual system around
to build LiveCD images and LiveUSB sticks.  It is much faster than I'd
be able to download a new DVD image daily.

I suspect that the reason rsync didn't work out for the RCs is that it allows you to start from a file very different from the end file, generating lots of bandwidth. Last time I used it, I don't remember it giving any estimate of the required download size, either (is there any way to get this?). This could mean lots of people starting from something like the previous Final version, meaning they'd have to download something like half of the full size, without knowing that. With disos, you have to start from a fixed point which can be chosen to be very close to the finish, and already available on mirrors (like the Preview), and people know in advance exactly how big the diso is.