Re: One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release

Peter Robinson wrote:
the anaconda storage is very buggy since fc11 beta 2

this really need's to be fixed.
That's...not a very useful statement. It's been buggy ever since it was
*completely rewritten* for the Fedora 11 cycle. Both the Anaconda
developers and the QA team are perfectly well aware of this; rewriting
such a fundamental chunk of code is _always_ going to introduce new
bugs, we knew this before the project was ever initiated. But we still
needed to rewrite the code, so there was nothing else to do.

Just saying "it's buggy, fix it!" doesn't help anyone. We know it's
buggy. We're working very hard on fixing it. Constructive input would be
one of:

I agree to a point. It seems to me on a number of occasions over the
history of Fedora anaconda has been the reason for release slips. I
reported a number of bugs (or added my details to a number of bugs)
for custom disk installations and even though they've been reported
(beta or even alpha stage) they're still not fixed.

Anaconda definitely needs massive re-writes but I would expect that to
land by the alpha rather than having pretty decent fixes still coming
in after the preview release and hence the delays that have come with
that. Not reporting fairly major bugs in the beta and still not having
them closed now having read comments like "custom installs to single
partitions aren't normal use cases".

If install to a single partition isn't a normal use for a new release, which many people will install in parallel with their working release, then we are not talking to the same power users, administrators, and developers of non-Fedora software.

Swept under the rug, my aunt would have called it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>