Re: Release Criteria

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Allen Kistler wrote:
All the release criteria on the referenced page are about booting and
running, which makes sense as far as it goes, but what about shutting
down?  Although they're mostly fixed now, there was a series of bugs
dealing with F11 being unable under certain conditions to shut down
without the use of the power button.

You can always hit the power button if the system fails to shutdown, so it
isn't really critical.

Are you sane?

I the system won't shut down properly, a quick press of the power button is likely not to work either.

Hitting the power button to force a poweroff risks loss of data. It is most certainly _not_ fit for release if this is expected.

The idea is that everything which can be fixed in an update is not
release-critical.

Are there any criteria that said, "Must not harm anyone's computer?" I raise this because, a while ago, there was a kernel bug that could harm computers (including the HP DC7700) that had on-board Intel NICs.

Fedora stepped around that one by disabling the offending driver, but there still existed a risk for those who might build their own kernels.

Opensuse released an alpha, beta or preview or some such containing this bug. The release notes mentioned it, but I thought it incredibly risky.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait