Re: what package will give me /lib/ld-linux.so.2 on x86_64?

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
The original issue is that I have packages which are available in binary
form which use the 32 bit ".i585" libraries.

You didn't get my point. glibc.i586 and glibc.i686 contain the SAME
libraries, just differently optimized. All the packages in Fedora get built
against one or the other and actually run on both. The same should be true
for any third-party binaries. I don't see how which one you pick would make
any difference.

And since several are (a) huge, (b) updated frequently, and (c) not known
to be 64 bit functional

That doesn't mean they need glibc.i586 rather than glibc.i686.

The right glibc multilib for x86_64 systems is i686, not i586.

In spite of all the theory on Earth, packages did not work with i686, removed i686 installed i586, packages work. All packages but one, when I tried installing the 32 bit parts of X and gtk I got conflicts. At that point I just gave up and went 32 bit, the object is to use the system, not chase bugs. I get no benefit from 64 bit, and it was fun trying, getting the 32 bit binaries working takes more (unpaid) time than I have.

I appreciate the comments on 586 vs. 686 I just can't collaborate with experimental data.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>