Re: Anaconda failure on i686 - lvcreate fails for swap

On 03/27/2009 02:56 PM, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
These are rough times for anaconda, first one failure, then another and
another -- it's driving me bonkers.

The latest failure is anaconda failing silently (no traceback) on an LV
create of the swap filesystem in a "pure vanilla" install.

No traceback means no bug report to make.

If you haven't yet filed a bug, please do at bugzilla.redhat.com. For those who do not know, anaconda for Fedora 11 is getting the entire storage backend rewritten. That's the code that deals with disks, drives, partitions, raid, lvm, filesystems, and so on. Details:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/AnacondaStorageRewrite

So please file bugs. Even if there is no traceback, file a bug and describe what happened, including what steps you took during installation. Also include a description of your hardware so we can reproduce the problem locally.

Pretty much all of us on the anaconda team have been working day and night with few breaks to get this code rewritten.

Several people have asked why we are rewriting the storage code in anaconda. It's the last major piece of anaconda that's still mostly original anaconda code. April 24, 2009 is the 10 year anniversary of anaconda. A lot has changed in the world of storage in 10 years and we need code that can scale and adapt as necessary.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI