Re: um ... what's with the "." after the directory perms?

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 10:07 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MS> File a bug? info and man really ought to return the same
> MS> information.
>
> This would be abnormal for most, perhaps all, of the GNU utilities.
> The manpages all contain only short summaries of options and refer to
> the info pages for complete documentation.  The ls manpage doesn't
> even begin to discuss the output format.  It's not merely missing
> mention of this additional dot.

I actually though that might be the case. I don't think I'll bother after all.

> If you want to open a discussion of whether these abbreviated manpages
> are problematic, feel free, but this isn't an isolated property of the
> ls manpage.  I imagine this discussion has been had repeatedly in
> various other fora in any case.

As an old-school Unix hand I'm a firm believer on 'man' as the reference
point for documentation, but I think I'm swimming against the tide. For
example KDE has virtually no man docs (and precious few other docs).
This is bad and it's going to get worse.

poc